Gluten-free, nutty, flax-seed cookies that you mix & shape, not bake
When is a cookie not a cookie? When it's an uncookie! Dubbed "uncookies" because they are not baked, these flavorful cookies, mixed and pressed into shape, are more at home in your fridge than the oven. So, satiate your sweet tooth in a guilt-free way with flourless, gluten-free, sugar-free Uncookie Cookies. Packed primarily with fresh ground flax seeds, walnuts and almonds and naturally sweetened with honey and maple syrup, omega-3 fatty acids charge this cookie with power to preserve and promote healthy bones and protect against heart disease, cancer, diabetes and high blood pressure.
The coolest crumb bit about Uncookie Cookies is that the recipe may be tailored to fit your favorite cut of cookie. Choose from chocolate chip chocolate to cinnamon raisin and peanut butter. This cookie crumbles your way!
Uncookie Cookie Recipe
~ Yields 2 dozen 2 ½ - 3 inch cookiesRoast1. Set oven for 160-170 degree F°. Roast nuts on cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes. Alternately, you may also toast them on a heavy-bottomed pan over low heat.
The nuts should, ideally, be roasted, but if you subscribe to the raw foods faith, you may also choose to only warm them up to 116 F°. For the full raw version of this recipe, please see the recipe variations below.
2 cups walnuts
1 cups almonds
2. Set aside to cool.
3. Finely grind the nuts using a food processor.
Note: A blender has too small of a base to properly grind large quantities of nuts.Grind1. Use a very powerful blender to grind the spices and salt.
This recipe relies heavily on a heavy duty blender and food processor. I opt for mostly whole spices because they keep fresh longer than pre-ground store-bought spices, which after a time, taste like dust.
1 whole nutmeg
1 tsp whole allspice
1 tsp whole cloves
2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp sea salt
4 cups flax seeds
2. Sweep the spices into a big, non-metallic mixing bowl, and do not rinse the blender.
3. Pour flax seeds into the blender and grind them into a fine meal.
4. Combine flax seed meal with ground spices and salt.Mix1. Drizzle the melted butter over the cookie mixture, and mixing with a wooden spoon, make sure the butter is evenly distributed and integrated into the mixture.
When purchasing maple syrup, grade B is better than grade A because it is less processed and has a full maple flavor and thicker consistency. If you like molasses and spice cookies like Joe Joes or ginger snaps, feel free to ante-up the spices, kick in some ginger, and substitute molasses for honey. Do keep in mind, however, that molasses is not as healthy as honey or maple syrup. See below for cookie variations.
3 tbs melted butter
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp peanut butter
2. Add maple syrup, honey and peanut butter and mix well.Shape1. Cut a 12" by 12" piece of saran wrap.
I use plastic saran wrap to shape the cookies and then vacuum seal and refrigerate them. You may also use silicon molds, but these cookies, when first shaped, are very delicate, so they must firm-up in the refrigerator before being served.
2. Scoop two to two and a half heaping tablespoons of cookie mix onto the saran wrap.
3. Press the cookie into shape.
4. Vacuum seal the cookie. You will notice that as the cookie compresses, some of the liquids pull away, which allows the cookie to better retain shape.Serve
If you used a silicon mold to shape the cookies, place them in a paper towel lined tupperware container and refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving. If you vacuum-sealed the cookies, snip the edge of the plastic bag, without breaking the seal, so the freshness of the cookie is retained till the cookie is torn and ravaged from its protective casing.Variations1. Do not heat the nuts above 116 F°.
For raw uncookie cookies....
2. Omit butter and peanut butter.
3. Increase honey to 1/2 cup.For chocolate chip chocolate uncookie cookies...1. Add 1 cup unsweeted cocoa powder.
2. Increase the 1/4 cup honey to 1/2 cup
3. Add either raw cacao nibs or your favorite dark chocolate bar cut into chunks. I prefer Valrhona 's extra dark chocolate with 85% cacao.For spicy raisin cookies...1. Add 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2. Increase the cinnamon to 3 teaspoons and nutmeg to 2 whole pieces.
3. Substitute 1/8 cup of honey for 1/8 cup of molasses.
4. When shaping the cookies, scoop a heaping tablespoon and half of the cookie mixture onto saran wrap, rest a few raisins on top of the pile, and then scoop another heaping tablespoon of cookie mix atop the raisins, sandwiching the raisins in between the cookie mix before compressing the cookie.For peanut butter raisin cookies...1. Omit 2 tablespoons of the melted butter.
2. Increase the peanut butter to 3 tablespoons.
3. Follow the spicy raisin cookie instructions above for adding raisins.